Midway South, Texas
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2)|
|• Land||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||79 ft (24 m)|
|• Density||1,900/sq mi (700/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1852737|
Midway South is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 2,239 at the 2010 United States Census. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Midway South is located at (26.159984, -98.018322).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.2 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,711 people, 419 households, and 372 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,376.3 inhabitants per square mile (531.4/km2). There were 461 housing units at an average density of 370.8 per square mile (143.2/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 82.58% White, 0.06% African American, 16.01% from other races, and 1.34% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 95.27% of the population.
There were 419 households, out of which 59.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.8% were married couples living together, 19.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 11.0% were non-families. 8.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 3.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.07 and the average family size was 4.32.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 41.4% under the age of 18, 13.3% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 13.6% from 45 to 64, and 5.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 23 years. For every 100 females, there were 95.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $18,657, and the median income for a family was $19,352. Males had a median income of $12,321 versus $15,966 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $6,591. About 43.6% of families and 50.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 51.0% of those under age 18 and 42.0% of those age 65 or over.
Much of Midway South (sections east of South Midway Road) is served by the Weslaco Independent School District. Two elementary schools, Sam Houston Elementary School and Memorial Elementary School, serve sections of the WISD portion. All residents are zoned to Central Middle School, and Weslaco High School.
A portion of Midway South (sections west of South Midway Road) is served by the Donna Independent School District (DISD). Stainke Elementary School and Guzman Elementary School serve sections of the DISD portion of Midway South. All portions are zoned by Todd Middle School and Donna High School.
In addition, South Texas Independent School District operates magnet schools that serve the community.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Hidalgo County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 9, 2017.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Midway South CDP, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 11, 2017.
- "Elementary School Attendance Zones[permanent dead link]." Weslaco Independent School District. Retrieved on July 11, 2017.
- "Middle School Attendance Zones." Weslaco Independent School District. Retrieved on July 11, 2017. Persons using Mozilla Firefox to directly view this file may encounter problems
- "High School Attendance Zones." Weslaco Independent School District. Retrieved on July 11, 2017. Persons using Mozilla Firefox to directly view this file may encounter problems
- "2013-2014 District and Campus Boundaries." Donna Independent School District. Retrieved on July 9, 2017. Pages: 3 (high school), 4 (middle school), 5 (elementary school), 22 (Guzman ES detail), 35 (Stainke ES detail)